Mulling It Over

So I’ve been quiet for a bit longer than I meant to be.  I ran into the corporation of a fellow blogger and was really excited to share the story with everyone.  However, upon reflecting, I realized it showed a member of that blogger’s corp in a poor light.  I’m not sure about the protocol when dealing with people I count as friend-types (as I view all the EVE bloggers even when I haven’t met them before) and less than stellar behaviour by their actual friends.  I’ve no wish to offend; any suggestions?

{ 14 comments… add one }
  • Sard Caid February 11, 2009, 3:01 am

People are people; whether they write or not. If there is a certain protocol you take when dialoging with others online, there's no reason to diverge from it just because they tap keys and submit their thoughts to the world. Just be yourself.

I'm not entirely clear on what your issue is, whether it be with a fellow blagger or a corpmate of said blagger. Did you write something about one of the blagger's corpmates?

• LurbyJo February 11, 2009, 3:25 am

Yes, I've got a post that details a run in with a fellow blogger's corp. I just wasn't sure how to handle blogging about eFriends or their corps when the subject is poor sportsman-like behaviour. Maybe it's no big deal? I just don't like to be a meanie or anything. :S

• Sard Caid February 11, 2009, 3:33 am

As a rule, I don't name folk. If I copy & pasted local, and your name happens to precede some nasty or amusing diction, oh well. That's bad on the person for typing it in local.

In general though, avoid names. All too often opinions change, while word on print does not.

I also feel I should add that if you couldn't stand by what you're writing, then stop writing. One shouldn't have to come back with an eraser unless one wrote 'Assley' instead of 'Ashley'. Or some such.

• LurbyJo February 11, 2009, 4:02 am

It wasn't local but the image I have does include a name. Maybe I'll just smear it over and call him Mr. X or something. Cool. Thank you for the input!

• Alexia Morgan February 11, 2009, 5:03 am

something I try to think about when writing is, 'what good will come of this?'

if all I can think of is that bad will come of it, then I don't post it. I try to only promote good, rather than bad. It works out a lot better.

So if posting his/her name will mean something good comes from it, then go for it. But if it will only cause bad feelings, that's something bad… probably not a good idea.

Just my way of doing things anyway.

If I have to rant about someone, I will make sure I avoid names. The idiots and the ignorant don't need to know I'm ranting about them – that would just bite me in the arse. But 'getting it off my chest' can sometimes be therapeutic, even if it's not naming them.

• ArsenalOfCharm February 11, 2009, 5:48 am

I'd just tell the story and use fake names, if its a good story then it should be told

• Mynxee February 11, 2009, 6:59 am

You have every right to speak your mind on your own blog. By using fake names, or simply not mentioning names, you can express your opinion, tell the story, and not have to worry about hurt feelings. I agree with ArsenalOfCharm–if there's a story worth blogging about, then BLOG IT!

• Cj Didge February 11, 2009, 10:42 am

I say name and shame, just because it’s a game doesn't exempt them from behaving properly towards another human being, and theres no way of nowing if that person is the fellow bloggers friend, maybe ask their opinion before hand.

• Myrhial Arkenath February 11, 2009, 11:51 am

Use fake names gets my vote.

• Manasi February 11, 2009, 8:08 am

Lurby just post it…no regrets…individuals do not entire represent a corp nor does a corp entirely represent it’s individuals. Everyone screws up and has a bad day or does something silly…thats part of life. If it was my corp i’d say please let me know…but thats just me I guess 🙂

• Letrange February 11, 2009, 10:03 pm

I will point out 2 things:
    – Just because they are in the same corp does not automatically mean they are buddies.
    – Remember we're on one server if he's less than gentlemanly with you he's probably the same with everyone else. We'd probably like to know who he is so we can avoid him.
    This is EVE. Actions have consequences. Mouthing off (or what ever) to someone and getting it reported in the interstellar weeb (read eve blogosphere) is the chance you take whenever you mouth off to anyone. One of the main reasons for "no smack in local" policies a lot of alliances have. Game the metagame.

• Alexia Morgan February 11, 2009, 10:12 pm

Maybe we could make a blacklist of smacktalking morons…. we can have them red, shoot on sight. PUNISH them for their idiocy!

• Sard Caid February 12, 2009, 1:30 am

How's about we just shoot anyone and everyone instead? Much easier that way.

• LurbyJo February 12, 2009, 2:12 am

That's practically what I do all ready. -10 FTW!