English 98: My Pet Peeve

It would seem many people feel the phrase and I cannot be overused and choosing it instead of and me helps them to appear both more educated and more eloquent.

This is absolutely incorrect

When I was in elementary school (and I cry to think that this must not be taught any longer) I learned to break down the group to determine which ending would be appropriate.  For example, They wanted to take Shelly and I out for dinner.  Break this up:  They wanted to take Shelly out for dinner. and They wanted to take me out for dinner.  The appropriate choice is and me.  This method works in nearly every situation (though probably not all of them since this is English we’re talking about here) but if you’re not sure, rewrite the sentence to avoid choosing all together.  Safe not sorry, amirite?

Stop using and I incorrectly.  You sound like a jackass (and a poorly educated one to boot).

*steps down from her Remedial English soapbox and exits stage left*

{ 12 comments… add one }
  • Shae Tiann February 2, 2009, 6:28 pm

omg That drives me nuts! And the overuse of apostraphes! Urrrrrg…

• Tony "EVE's Weekend Warrior" February 3, 2009, 12:20 am

Why not “and I”? That is the way they are teaching it in schools now adays. If you say, “blah blah blah CJ and me blah blah blah” the teachers would say, “be polite and say CJ and I!”.

I really don’t have a problem because English isn’t one of my top classes (though it’s at 97 this year for some weird reason) 😛

Just writing for fun for myself!

• Sard Caid February 3, 2009, 11:15 am

I can’t say I run into that situation often when writing, however it’d be a tossup between which format I’d chose. ‘And I’ just sounds gooder! =p

Feel free to bop me over the head with a nerf bat any time you spy improper grammar. *huggles*

• Widow February 3, 2009, 4:30 pm

Me and all my good friends completely agree with you. Irregardless of what anybody else says, you are way smarter then them. When it come’s to proper english theres no way I am not listening to you’re advice. And I hope everyone get’s half a brain and listens to what you and the other english junkies’ are saying because its about time people started thinking before they typed and did a better job at trying to be smart because I for one know I am sick and tired of it. 🙂

• LurbyJo February 4, 2009, 3:48 pm

@Tony: Sometimes and I is correct. Carole and I love to shop. But other times, as in the example I provided in my post, it is not. 🙂

@Sard: *grin* I’ll keep my bopping to a minimum.

@Widow: LOL, you always know how to make me laugh!

• Tony "EVE's Weekend Warrior" February 6, 2009, 11:15 pm

Kk I get it. Just tell me when I’m doing it wrong 😀

• Roc Wieler February 9, 2009, 2:10 pm

Cannot help but wonder if perhaps my own blog entries use too many apostrophes and poor grammar. And me knows it will have to be checked!

• Tony "EVE's Weekend Warrior" February 9, 2009, 5:45 pm

Also, blog about apostrophies because I want to see if I’m doing it right!

• Sard Caid February 11, 2009, 3:05 am

You so funny.

Regarding this apostrophe nonsense, is it just overuse of contractions or am I missing something?

• LurbyJo February 11, 2009, 3:20 am

Mostly it's people who don't know the difference between its and it's or people who use apostrophes for plurals, etc. I shall blog the rules later. 😉

• Sard Caid February 11, 2009, 3:36 am

I'm still guilty of the its/it's misuse regularly. I honestly had to brush up on that not a few weeks ago.

I have no understanding on why someone would apply an apostrophe for plurals.

And yesh, lay down the law. With a riding crop. Here. *points & smirks*